Florence live updates from the field Monday: Much cleanup ahead

View The Original Article Here

Our reporters and photojournalists are in the field throughout the Carolinas reporting on the effects of Florence. Their Sunday reports are here and their Saturday reporters are here.

You can follow them at https://twitter.com/newsobserver/lists/hurricane-mcclatchy

Southport, NC: Nuclear state of emergency

10:10 a.m.: Duke Energy’s Brunswick nuclear plant, about 30 miles south of Wilmington, has declared a state of emergency because the 1,200-acre complex is cut off by flood waters and and inaccessible to outside personnel. The plant has declared the lowest level of emergency, as required by Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said NRC spokesman Joey Ledford.

The problem is that no one can come in and relieve the workers who have been on site for days.

Ledford said the twin-reactor nuclear plant is stable and poses no threat to public safety. It has offsite power from the grid to cool the nuclear reactor and radioactive nuclear waste at the site.

Charlotte-based Duke shut down the two reactors ahead of the advancing storm when Florence was a Category 4 hurricane. Federal law requires nuclear operators to shut down nuclear reactors when sustained wind speeds are at 74 miles per hour or faster.


Goldsboro, NC: ‘Water Damage Specialists’

9:45 a.m.: Jeff and Maureen Winter left New Hampshire three years ago for a single-story house with a big basement overlooking Falling Creek south of Goldsboro. Twice since then hurricanes have turned the three-foot-wide creek into a river that swallowed their backyard and in-ground swimming pool and sent six feet of water into the basement.

Jeff Winter will handle most of the cleanup work himself. He’s a painting contractor, and on the top of his business card and prominently painted on the side of his truck parked in front of his house are the words “Water Damage Specialists.”

Standing on his back deck late Sunday, Winter described what you would see if the water wasn’t rushing past, including grass, a four-foot-chainlink fence and a small pier that led to the creek. The water flowing across his backyard seemed to be receding, he said.

“I got a lot of work to do when it leaves,” he said. “That creek water is gross.”

In contrast to the torrent outside, the water in the basement was stagnant, with paint cans floating in it. After Hurricane Matthew in 2016, Winter said he spent three days pressure-washing what is his workshop, then repainted with a special paint that’s supposed to resist mold. He didn’t sound discouraged Sunday or regretful about moving to North Carolina.

“I’m almost 58,” he said. “I’m not going back up north.”