- After Hurricane Nicholas, thousands still without power in Houston area heading into the weekend
- Weather slows wildfire near California's giant sequoia trees
- Tropical Storm Odette forms off mid-Atlantic coast
- Tropical Storm Odette forms, moving away from Carolina coast
- 'Gotta love Texas': TikTok sparks debate on Whataburger being open during tropical storm
James Smith, the S.C. Democratic nominee for governor, was released from his National Guard duties on Monday, helping deal with Hurricane Florence, and resumed his campaign.
“It was important to pause the campaign and set politics aside and work together as one South Carolina to keep each other safe,” Smith said in an emailed statement. “It was a privilege to serve again in response to a threat facing our state.”
Smith and Republican nominee Gov. Henry McMaster suspended their campaigns a week ago as the state prepared for then-Hurricane Florence.