- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
James Smith, the S.C. Democratic nominee for governor, was released from his National Guard duties on Monday, helping deal with Hurricane Florence, and resumed his campaign.
“It was important to pause the campaign and set politics aside and work together as one South Carolina to keep each other safe,” Smith said in an emailed statement. “It was a privilege to serve again in response to a threat facing our state.”
Smith and Republican nominee Gov. Henry McMaster suspended their campaigns a week ago as the state prepared for then-Hurricane Florence.