- Crews battling wildfire in rural Pender County
- Death Valley route buried in floods, closed for another week
- ‘Smokey Bear’ celebrates 78th birthday as NC wildfire situation remains mostly under control
- Biden surveys flood damage in Kentucky, pledges more US help
- Three large wildfires around Central Texas nearly 100% contained
James Smith, the S.C. Democratic nominee for governor, was released from his National Guard duties on Monday, helping deal with Hurricane Florence, and resumed his campaign.
“It was important to pause the campaign and set politics aside and work together as one South Carolina to keep each other safe,” Smith said in an emailed statement. “It was a privilege to serve again in response to a threat facing our state.”
Smith and Republican nominee Gov. Henry McMaster suspended their campaigns a week ago as the state prepared for then-Hurricane Florence.