- Damaging winds, localized flooding and isolated tornados possible overnight, early Monday
- WEATHER: Chance of Severe Weather tonight into Monday morning
- WEATHER: Chance of Severe Weather Tonight-Monday AM
- Potential for rain, severe weather overnight Sunday
- Remembering Raleigh: Saturday marks anniversary of historic, deadly 1988 tornado
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — As floodwater continues to rise in the wake of Hurricane Florence, many areas are inaccessible. That makes getting a true gauge of Florence’s impact difficult.
This morning our ABC affiliate in Raleigh WTVD flew the coast from Topsail Island to Pleasure Island, including North Topsail Beach, Surf City, Topsail Beach, Figure Eight Island, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Wilmington. We asked them to check out Boiling Spring Lakes, which is inaccessible to most people, to check out the problems there, and they obliged. The video they sent back was unbelievable.
Later in the day, we took another flight in an effort to figure out how to get fuel to our transmitter in Winnabow before the generator gives out. What we saw on the way back was a great view of how bad the flooding is on US 17 at Town Creek.
Check out the player above to see the views from above.