- A friendship solid as ice: Carolina Hurricanes forward Jordan Martinook forges special bond with 12-year-old fan with Down syndrome
- Beautiful Sunday evening awaits as central NC dodges severe weather
- 50-acre Bastrop County wildfire 50% contained
- EF-1 tornado confirmed by NWS in Oconee County, South Carolina
- Tornado confirmed near Seneca, South Carolina
CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) – Many people fled from coastal cities in North Carolina ahead of Hurricane Florence.
Now that the storm is gone, getting back to their homes seems impossible.
The St. Juste’s family evacuated from Wilmington last week. They aren’t sure when they’ll be able to get back to the city, that at one point, state workers said was inaccessible by land to get into or out of.
“We are concerned about our home,” said Selena St. Juste. “If there is water damage, or any type of damage, the sooner you get to the damage the better.”
The North Carolina Department of Transportation issued a travel advisory for parts of the state due to flooding and hazardous road conditions. This included parts of US-64, I-73/I-74, I-95 and I-40. Conditions are expected to get better by the end of the week.
The Charlotte Motor Speedway still has campgrounds full of campers that belong to evacuees. Linda Sandarford parked at a slot with her family on Monday afternoon. She left from Wilmington to avoid the storm and went to Georgia. She was trying to get back to the coast but couldn’t because of the roads.
“We know we have to be patient,” Sandarford said. “But I am looking forward to getting home.”