- A look at how summer storms create localized damaging winds
- Tornadoes spur injuries, damage in eastern Pennsylvania
- Wisconsin storms bring 3 tornados; 1 man dies in crash
- Tornado watch vs warning: What to do when you see alert messages
- Non-profit group organizing clean-up for home damaged by flooding on Leon Creek
Tammie Hedges was taken into custody Friday after providing care to 17 cats and 10 dogs for owners who had to evacuate before the storm hit.
According to WCNC, Hedges was in the process of converting a warehouse space into a proper animal shelter when she decided to use the building to help keep pets dry. However, her facility was not legally registered as a shelter.
On Monday, after Florence passed, Hedges got a call from Wayne County Animal Control regarding the animals. She willingly surrendered the animals.
Hedges was arrested and charged with 12 counts of practicing medicine without a veterinary license.