- A friendship solid as ice: Carolina Hurricanes forward Jordan Martinook forges special bond with 12-year-old fan with Down syndrome
- Beautiful Sunday evening awaits as central NC dodges severe weather
- 50-acre Bastrop County wildfire 50% contained
- EF-1 tornado confirmed by NWS in Oconee County, South Carolina
- Tornado confirmed near Seneca, South Carolina
Tammie Hedges was taken into custody Friday after providing care to 17 cats and 10 dogs for owners who had to evacuate before the storm hit.
According to WCNC, Hedges was in the process of converting a warehouse space into a proper animal shelter when she decided to use the building to help keep pets dry. However, her facility was not legally registered as a shelter.
On Monday, after Florence passed, Hedges got a call from Wayne County Animal Control regarding the animals. She willingly surrendered the animals.
Hedges was arrested and charged with 12 counts of practicing medicine without a veterinary license.