- Shelters, emergency officials prepare for severe weather this weekend
- 6th tornado confirmed by National Weather Service, survey teams continue work
- Kingwood residents cleaning up after storm damage from tornado
- Live video: Air 11 surveys storm damage following tornados this weekend
- Multiple tornadoes confirmed by National Weather Service survey teams
Southern Pines, N.C. — A Brunswick County man has been arrested after authorities said he raped a woman in Southern Pines on Monday night.
Southern Pines police said that the victim reported that a man who had been staying in her apartment sexually assaulted her while she was sleeping at about 11 p.m.
Officers who arrived at the apartment found Freeman Scott Ireland, 37, inside and charged him with second-degree forcible rape.
Authorities said Ireland, who relocated to Moore County after he was displaced from his home by Hurricane Florence, is currently on supervised release by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety after serving 20 years in prison for a conviction on charges of second-degree murder and armed robbery.
Ireland was being held at the Moore County Detention Center under $500,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 9.