- Rare northern Michigan tornado kills 1, injures more than 40
- Smith, Raanta, Hurricanes top Rangers for 2-0 series lead
- Texas wildfires continue to burn as dry and windy conditions persist
- TribCast: Previewing the runoffs and reviewing how Texas’ Hurricane Harvey relief was disbursed
- SC deputy convicted in death of 2 mental health patients during Hurricane Florence
Thousands are set to attend the funeral of Florence Police Sgt. Terrence Carraway who was shot and killed in an “ambush” shooting last week.
The funeral is scheduled to start at noon at the Florence Center. A public viewing is being held before the ceremony.
Fred Hopkins, 74, shot and killed Carraway at an Ashton Street home in Florence on Wednesday evening, police say. Authorities charged Hopkins with one count of murder and six counts of attempted murder for shooting and injuring six other officers.
The seven officers killed or injured were:
- Florence Officer Terrence Carraway
- Florence Officer Brian Hart
- Florence Officer Travis Scott
- Florence Officer Scott Williamson
- Florence County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Arie Davis
- Florence County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Sarah Miller
- Florence County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Farrrah Turner
Two officers were released from the hospital.
Investigators say officers went to the Hopkins home to interview Seth Hopkins related to a case of criminal sexual conduct with a minor. When they arrived, Fred Hopkins ambushed them. Police say multiple weapons were used in the attack.
Police have charged Seth Hopkins with second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor. A magistrate denied bond for both Seth and Fred Hopkins.