- Tropical Storm Ian path shifts west, increasing chance NC sees heavy rain next week
- Florida monitors a growing Tropical Storm Ian in Caribbean
- Florida emergency declared as Tropical Storm Ian strengthens
- Tropical Storm Ian strengthens in the Caribbean, tracks toward Florida
- Artemis moon launch delayed again as Tropical Storm Ian strengthens
On Nov. 5, 2017, South Carolina hosted Virginia Tech in an exhibition game at Colonial Life Arena. The event was rare because it was a couple Power 5 schools publicly playing one another in the preseason. Such matchups normally go down as scrimmages behind closed doors.
A year later, the Gamecocks had plans to put on a similar event. First reported by The Post and Courier and further confirmed by North Carolina coach Roy Williams on Tuesday, USC and UNC were to play an exhibition game at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte to benefit those affected by Hurricane Florence — but the NCAA denied a waiver.
“I was dumbfounded when the waiver was not granted,” Williams told reporters in Chapel Hill, N.C.