- Tornado destroys homes in weather-battered western Louisiana
- Morning storms, possible tornadoes cause damage in Houston area
- Morning storms, tornadoes cause damage in Houston area, Southeast Texas
- Nor'easter brings hurricane-force wind, causes power outages
- Nor'easter has New England bracing for floods, power outages
Durham Public Schools, Johnston County schools and Orange County schools will be closed Thursday due to the threat of heavy rain and wind from the pending arrival of Hurricane Michael.
Durham announced Wednesday afternoon that classes will be canceled Thursday due to the probability of travel conditions become unsafe during the school day. Durham school leaders faced criticism last month for reopening schools when travel conditions were unsafe after the arrival of Hurricane Florence.
Several North Carolina school systems are planning to close Thursday, but Wake County and Chapel Hill-Carrboro haven’t announced if they will cancel.
Gov. Roy Cooper has declared a state of emergency in advance of the storm’s arrival.