- These are the most infamous October hurricanes
- Flooding in Venice worsens off-season amid climate change
- Drawing Hope: Illustrator volunteers to sketch homes lost in California wildfires
- 'She couldn't swim' | Family of flooding victim speaks about loss, lack of barricades
- Floods, landslides kill at least 28 people in southern India
Wayne County is among those still cleaning up from the effects of Hurricane Florence. In Goldsboro, Mayor Chuck Allen said the current track of Tropical Storm Michael gives him hope that additional flooding will be held in check.
John Street was dry Thursday morning, but homes elevated after previous floods made the risk apparent. Residents along Stoney Creek and in other low-lying areas were on alert, with high winds and heavy rain forecast along with Michael.
With the entirety of Wayne County under an elevated risk for flooding through Thursday, the county plans to open a shelter later in the day. Schools were closed on Thursday as a precaution and will operate on a three-hour delay on Friday.