- Tornado destroys homes in weather-battered western Louisiana
- Morning storms, possible tornadoes cause damage in Houston area
- Morning storms, tornadoes cause damage in Houston area, Southeast Texas
- Nor'easter brings hurricane-force wind, causes power outages
- Nor'easter has New England bracing for floods, power outages
Football games and other Wake County high school athletic events originally scheduled for Friday will have to wait until another day.
After Tropical Storm Michael left most Triangle-area schools closed on Friday, the school system tweeted Friday morning that after-school and athletic events would also be canceled.
“Please check with your school about make-up information,” the tweet said. “School staff is currently addressing field conditions, safe access to facilities and scattered power failures today.”
Wake responded to inquiries Thursday night from people wanting to know if Friday game would be played.
The system said it had to “assess the condition of our facilities and allow Duke Energy to get some work done” before it would have an answer.
Thirty-one North Carolina school systems were closed Friday, and as of 10 a.m. more than 481,000 customers remained without power in North Carolina, according to North Carolina Emergency Management.