- NHL postpones two additional Carolina Hurricanes games
- Ava Gardner Museum closes due to flood damage
- Hurricanes open with 3-0 win over rebuilding Red Wings
- How Flood Projects Can Do More Than Just Prevent Floods (Jan. 14, 2021)
- Wildfires produced up to half of pollution in US West, according to study
Supply, N.C. — A neighborhood has canceled trick or treating this Halloween.
Lisa Hildebrand, secretary of the Lakes of Lockwood property owners association, said hundreds of trick-or-treaters typically flock to the Supply neighborhood because it is safe and well lit.
After a community meeting, neighbors agreed the sinkholes pose too large a risk to allow children to trick or treat there this year.
“We just don’t want any children hurt,” Hildebrand said. “We have regrets that we have to do it, but it is a necessity.”
Hildebrand said there have been several small sinkholes in addition to the two large ones.