- Hurricanes sled hockey team competes in national tournament
- Cherryville requesting state funding following May storm damage
- City of Cherryville requests state funding after May storm damage
- Saturday Sessions: The Heavy performs "Hurricane Coming"
- More possible severe weather looms over San Antonio after overnight storms
Coastal neighborhood forced to cancel Halloween due to Florence
View The Original Article Here
Supply, N.C. — A neighborhood has canceled trick or treating this Halloween.
Lisa Hildebrand, secretary of the Lakes of Lockwood property owners association, said hundreds of trick-or-treaters typically flock to the Supply neighborhood because it is safe and well lit.
After a community meeting, neighbors agreed the sinkholes pose too large a risk to allow children to trick or treat there this year.
“We just don’t want any children hurt,” Hildebrand said. “We have regrets that we have to do it, but it is a necessity.”
Hildebrand said there have been several small sinkholes in addition to the two large ones.