- 'She couldn't swim' | Family of flooding victim speaks about loss, lack of barricades
- Floods, landslides kill at least 28 people in southern India
- Thailand hit with more flooding amid heavy rains
- 'They took a child's sense of safety': School in Nixon broken into, computers stolen during floods
- Flash Flooding: Second Body Recovered After Vehicle Swept From Texas Bridge
Supply, N.C. — A neighborhood has canceled trick or treating this Halloween.
Lisa Hildebrand, secretary of the Lakes of Lockwood property owners association, said hundreds of trick-or-treaters typically flock to the Supply neighborhood because it is safe and well lit.
After a community meeting, neighbors agreed the sinkholes pose too large a risk to allow children to trick or treat there this year.
“We just don’t want any children hurt,” Hildebrand said. “We have regrets that we have to do it, but it is a necessity.”
Hildebrand said there have been several small sinkholes in addition to the two large ones.