Durham families eligible for Hurricane Florence food benefits
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) —
Durham families that suffered damages during Hurricane Florence could receive hundreds of dollars in food benefits.
The United States Department of Agriculture approved emergency food subsidies for Durham County Department of Social Services.
From Nov. 1-9, with the exception of Election Day (Nov. 6), Durham County DSS offices will be accepting applications for the food benefits.
ABC11 Hurricane Florence coverage
Families will receive different amounts depending on their size. For example, a family of one could receive $192.00. A family of four could receive $640.00, and larger families could receive more.
Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App
Families affected by Hurricane Florence are eligible for the food benefits if:
- You are a resident from any of the three Disaster Counties; Durham, Chatham & Guilford. You are eligible to apply at any of these 3 counties
- You have an official photo ID
- You have proof of residency
- Must have suffered damages and/or losses from Hurricane Florence only, to include property damage, loss of income and /or food loss, during the dates of Sept. 7-Oct. 6
- Must have income and resources not to exceed certain levels
- Must not be a current recipient of the Food and Nutrition Services program (FNS)
Prospective applicants should complete their application before going to DSS.
The applications can be found here: English — Spanish
Note: Video in this article is from a previous story.
(Copyright ©2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)