- Scientists work to protect national security during hurricane season
- Hurricanes and climate change: What's the connection?
- Fort Bend County announces million-dollar expansion of pump station to help reduce flooding
- New $9 million water pumps in Sugar Land expected to mitigate flooding
- What's the connection between hurricanes and climate change?
Man accused of helping elderly woman, then stealing purse at hurricane shelter
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The man accused of stealing an elderly woman’s purse at a Hurricane Florence shelter back in September is now behind bars.
Surf City Police arrested Ronald Robinson, 37, on Friday, after receiving a tip from Cumberland County Crimestoppers that Robinson was in the area.
Chief Ron Shanahan says they arrested Robinson in the 1800 block of S. Shore Drive.
According to Fayetteville Police, Robinson stole an elderly victim’s purse after helping her walk to a restroom at a Hurricane Florence shelter and later pawned the victim’s jewelry at a pawn shop.
They issued felony warrants for Robinson’s arrest.
Robinson is charged with financial card theft, felony larceny, and obtain property by false pretense.
Robinson was taken to the Pender County Jail before being taken to Cumberland County.