- Hurricane Ian causes extensive damage in Florida even before landfall
- Some don’t evacuate, despite repeated hurricane warnings, because they can’t
- Hurricane Ian lashes Florida with 155 mph winds as landfall approaches
- Hurricane Ian on brink of Category 5 status as it nears Florida landfall within hours: Live updates
- They moved from Texas after the 2021 freeze. Now they’re dodging a hurricane.
Official media say the death toll from flash floods unleashed by heavy rains in Jordan has risen to 11, and that searches for missing people continue.
Saturday’s reports came a day after floods struck in several areas of Jordan, including Petra, an ancient trading hub carved into rose-colored rock. Hundreds of Petra visitors ran for higher ground Friday as water surged through a narrow canyon leading to the Treasury, Petra’s main attraction.
Government spokeswoman Jumana Ghuneimat and Civil Defense officials say the death toll rose early Saturday, after another body was found in the Madaba region south of the capital of Amman. They said searches for the missing are continuing.
Friday’s floods came two weeks after flash floods near the Dead Sea killed 21 people, most of them children.