- Florida’s death toll from Hurricane Ian tops 100 as the search for survivors continues
- Hurricane Ian death toll reaches at least 94 in Florida, 4 in NC as storm's effects linger
- Hurricane Ian rocks waterfront communities in Brunswick County
- Hurricane Ian leaves behind beach treasures
- National Hurricane Center: Tropics still active just days after Hurricane Ian
Photo: Metro Video
Image 1 7
A police chase ended with a flooded street in southwest Houston early Sunday after a fleeing driver crashed into a fire hydrant.
Houston police tried pulling over a car near Hillcroft and South Main around 1 a.m., but instead the driver sped off. It was a short chase at a high speed, headed eastbound along the service road, according to authorities.
The pursuit ended when the driver lost control and skidded off the roadway and into the grass, running over and breaking fire hydrant.
Water spewed out into the street and sparked minor flooding in the roadway.
The driver was treated for minor injuries by paramedics at the scene, and is expected to face unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and evading charges.