- Hurricane Ian nears Florida coast, threatening floods, winds
- Florida natives come to Canes-Lightning game to take minds off Hurricane Ian concerns
- Hurricane Ian continues path to Florida
- Charlotte Motor Speedway opening campground for hurricane evacuees
- Floridians arrive in Charlotte ahead of Hurricane Ian
Greek authorities say a 73-year-old man hospitalized with severe burns since July has died, bringing the toll of a deadly wildfire east of Athens to 100.
The wildfire, aided by high winds, swept through the suburb of Mati, a popular seaside resort, on July 23. People were trapped inside their homes or along narrow roads as many tried to flee. Some drowned in the sea.
A database maintained by the Center for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters in Brussels shows the wildfire was the deadliest in Europe since 1900.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.