- Smoke from Canada wildfires along East Coast should begin dissipating
- Air quality along the East Coast improves after days of haze from Canada wildfires
- Floods imperil cattle, cotton in the Panhandle
- Are Canadian wildfires under control? Here's what to know.
- Relief from Canadian wildfire smoke still days away for millions of Americans, meteorologist says
Over 4 months since Florence, neighbors still working together
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
WINNABOW, NC (WWAY) — It has been four months since Hurricane Florence and neighbors are still helping neighbors recover. One man stepped up to help repair a church that lost it’s steeple.
Fred Osborne built the first steeple at Christian Chapel AME Zion Church in Winnabow more than 10 years ago. But, the strong winds from Florence knocked the cross right off the steeple’s top. Osborne recently drove by the church, saw how it was broken and wanted to repair it. Days later, the new steeple hails on top of the church.
“I built the steeple probably about 15 years ago and it blew off during the storm and I stopped by and put a note on their door to put it back for them,” said Osborne.
Christian Chapel AME Zion Church has worshiped in the Winnabow community for man than 50 years. Aside from the steeple damage, the church also had a broken window. The church continues to repair.