- Fire-scarred California braces for more storms, flash floods
- Homeowners wait for long-promised state hurricane relief
- These are the most infamous October hurricanes
- Flooding in Venice worsens off-season amid climate change
- Drawing Hope: Illustrator volunteers to sketch homes lost in California wildfires
Counties under alert include Wake, Durham, Halifax, Johnston, Granville, Harnett, Edgecombe, Franklin, Nash, Vance, Warren and Wilson.
Storms ripped through central North Carolina Sunday night bringing heavy winds, rain, thunder and lightning.
According to the National Weather Service, people are trapped in a home in Halifax County after a reported tornado touchdown.
Officials said the house is damaged but did not mention any injuries.
The storm happened just hours after eight people were killed as storms swept across the South.
At 4:30 a.m., Duke Energy was reporting that more than 10,000 customers were without power in the Carolinas.
ABC11 meteorologist Steve Stweart said the wet weather won’t be around much longer.
He said dry air will “punch in” by Monday afternoon.
The remainder of the week will be warm and sunny; however, rains will push back in on Friday.
Copyright © 2019 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.