- Apparent wooden ship from 1800s uncovered by hurricane beach erosion
- California airports face disruption due to flooding, study finds
- As California wildfires rage, is this the new normal?
- Deadly storms bring torrential rains, hail and tornadoes to large portions of the South
- Severe weather impacts the East Coast
Preparing for a tornado is important because they are dangerous and they can form anywhere and anytime without notice.
AccuWeather suggests building an emergency kit that has non-perishable food, water, batteries, a flashlight, a battery-powered radio and a first-aid kit.
It is also important to know your community’s warning system and stay tuned to your local news for updates on a storm.
Watch for dark greenish clouds, large hail stones and a roaring white noise similar to a freight train.
If you suspect a tornado is coming, AccuWeather says to head to a safe place such as a storm cellar, basement or interior closet. Corners, doors and outside walls are places to avoid during a tornado.