- As California wildfires rage, is this the new normal?
- Deadly storms bring torrential rains, hail and tornadoes to large portions of the South
- Severe weather impacts the East Coast
- Two people killed after tornado outbreak hits south
- Today marks the end to an uneventful Atlantic hurricane season for Texas
Photo: National Weather Service
Image 1 1
Hurricane Barry reached the Louisiana coast Saturday morning and was moving northwest toward Arkansas, possibly bringing afternoon rain and thunderstorms to the Houston area, the National Weather Service announced.
Around 10 a.m., the storm was moving 6 miles per hour and located 170 miles from Galveston, according to the weather service.
Harris County and surrounding counties could see showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon and into the night, amid temperatures in the low- and mid-90s.
Organizers were hoping the weather wouldn’t put a damper on the Jehovah’s Witnesses international convention “Love Never Fails,” expected to draw nearly 50,000 devotees to NRG Stadium.