- UNCW helps collect clothes for people in Honduras impacted by hurricanes
- Hurricanes' Slavin urging people to 'Fill the Stadium' support at-risk children
- Hundreds of thousands at Honduras' shelters after hurricanes
- Hurricanes' world-class practice facility unveiled
- At least 26 dead in Central America from powerful Hurricane Iota
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
FLORIDA (CBS) — President Trump is canceling his trip to Poland as Hurricane Dorian is projected to bear down on Florida in the next few days. The president made the announcement in the White House Thursday during an event launching the U.S. Space Command.
“To ensure that all resources of the federal government are focused on the arriving storm I have decided to send our vice president, Mike Pence, to Poland this weekend in my place,” the president said. “It’s something very important for me to be here.”
Mr. Trump said he would reschedule his Poland trip for some point in the not-so-distant future.
The president had been scheduled to head to Poland this weekend. But the National Weather Service is projecting Dorian could be a category 4 hurricane when it makes landfall Monday, and Florida has declared a state of emergency.
Mr. Trump was slated to meet withand commemorate the anniversary of World War II.
Mr. Trump recently canceled a planned trip to Denmark over the prime minister’s apparent unwillingness to discuss the possible sale of Greenland.