- Severe Weather Preparedness Week: Flooding facts and safety
- First Alert to Severe Weather: Watches vs Warnings
- Why your family should have an out-of-state 'check-in' contact | Severe Weather Awareness Week
- Winter storm damage at SA schools tops $1.5 million, possibly more
- Severe Weather Preparedness Week for the Carolinas starts now!
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A chainsaw accident turned deadly over the weekend when a contractor was cut in the neck while cutting down trees.
The contractor had been hired to remove storm debris from Hurricane Dorian when the accident happened at a home on North Kerr Avenue.
The job ended ended in a gruesome accident.
Caller: “He is not breathing…apparently he had a problem with his chainsaw. He needs help. We need an ambulance like, now.”
The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office says 55- year-old George Carlton was hired to cut down trees at the home on Saturday.
That’s when the homeowner came out of his garage to find Carlton on the ground.
Lt. Jerry Brewer says Carlton was injured when the chainsaw cut his neck.
911: “Alright, you said he is not breathing, correct?”
On the phone with 911, you can hear the homeowner trying to do chest compressions until paramedics got there.
Unfortunately, Brewer says Carlton later died from blood loss.
The sheriff’s office is still investigating the situation.
WWAY went to the home to find out more, but the homeowner did not have any comment.
According to Governor Roy Cooper’s office, this is the state’s third death related to Hurricane Dorian.