- Fans return to PNC Arena after more than a year as Hurricanes win
- GMA's Ginger Zee joins the First Alert Team for Severe Weather townhall
- First Alert Team, GMA's Ginger Zee host Severe Weather townhall
- Carolina Hurricanes welcome fans back to PNC starting Thursday: Here's what you need to know before game
- First Alert Team, GMA's Ginger Zee host Severe Weather Preparedness townhall
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
NEW HANOVER COUNTY (WWAY)– We’ve been talking about the anniversary of several hurricanes lately, and a year ago it was Hurricane Florence.
One family is almost ready to return to their damaged home, and their journey back has been difficult.
William O’Brien says he and his family have lived on their Pender County farm for more than 10 years and it was in good shape until Hurricane Florence.
“Last year when the hurricane hit, we were in pretty good shape until the rain stayed here for several days,” O’Brien said.
The storm flooded his home with more than 15 inches of water.
Since the storm they’ve been struggling with their insurance, Fema, multiple adjusters, and a separated family.
His wife and children have been living in Jacksonville while he has lived in two campers.
O’Brien says they hope to be back in their home as soon as they can.