- Q&A with Marya Crigler, chief appraiser, on property tax relief for storm damage
- Fans return to PNC Arena after more than a year as Hurricanes win
- GMA's Ginger Zee joins the First Alert Team for Severe Weather townhall
- First Alert Team, GMA's Ginger Zee host Severe Weather townhall
- Carolina Hurricanes welcome fans back to PNC starting Thursday: Here's what you need to know before game
RALEIGH, N.C. — Sometimes, you just need a win.
That’s exactly what a Hurricane Florence victim got.
David Burnette of Newport won $50,000 in the Mega Millions drawing last Friday. He says he plans to repair the damage Hurricane Florence caused to his home.
Burnette bought his ticket at the Handy Mart on Arendell Street in Morehead City. The retiree says he couldn’t believe it when he realized he had a winning ticket.
“I called my wife in to check the numbers,” Burnette said. “It felt great to win.”
Burnette’s $3 Megaplier ticket matched four of the white balls and the Mega Ball to win $10,000. It multiplied to $50,000 when the 5X Megaplier was drawn.
The Mega Millions jackpot is now at $340 million annuity or $230.8 million cash.