- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
FEMA’s share of more than $1.9 million comes from its Public Assistance program
TOPSAIL BEACH – The town of Topsail Beach has been reimbursed by the state and FEMA for more than $2.5 million spent on renourishing its shore after Hurricane Dorian.
On Friday, FEMA announced it had approved more than $1.9 million in funding and the state will contribute more than $640,000 for the project, which replaced more than 312,000 cubic yards of beach sand following damaging storm surge from Dorian last fall.
Although much of the region was spared the wrath of Dorian, northern parts of the area, especially Topsail Beach and north to the Outer Banks were hit hard.
After sand was washed off Hurricane Florence in 2018, FEMA reimbursed $18.8 million to Topsail Beach to replenish more than 939,000 cubic yards of sand.
FEMA’s funding comes from its Public Assistance program, which reimburses applicants at least 75 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent is covered by the state.
The federal share is paid directly to the state to disburse to agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations that shouldered the financial burden of storm recovery.
Reporter Hunter Ingram can be reached at 910-343-2327 or Hunter.Ingram@StarNewsOnline.com.