- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
Hurricane Hanna, the first hurricane of the 2020 Atlantic season, made landfall Saturday on Padre Island, Texas, with maximum winds of 80 mph .
The Category 1 storm continued to strengthen before reaching Padre Island at 5 p.m. Saturday. Hanna made a second landfall in Kenedy County at 6:15 p.m.
As of 9 p.m., Hurricane Hanna’s maximum sustained winds had dropped to 80 mph. It is expected to continue to weaken as it moves inland.
The hurricane was moving west southwest at 8 mph, about 25 miles northwest of Port Mansfield and about 75 miles south of Corpus Christi.
Hurricane Hanna tracker: Follow the storm as it heads over Texas after landfall
The storm is expected to bring 6 to 12 inches of rain with isolated maximum totals of 18 inches through Sunday in South Texas and into Mexico, according to the latest forecast. Rain may cause flash flooding, rapid rises in small streams and river flooding.
A few tornadoes are possible Saturday and overnight in parts of the lower to middle Texas coastal plain.
In upper Texas and Louisiana coasts, 3 to 5 inches of rain is expected.
Hurricane Hanna: Live updates on depression coverage in Corpus Christi-area
Hurricane, storm surge warnings, watches
As of 7 p.m.. Saturday, a storm surge warning is in effect for:
- Port Mansfield to Sargent
A hurricane warning is in effect for:
- Port Mansfield to Port Aransas Texas
A tropical storm warning is in effect for:
- Barra el Mezquital, Mexico, to Port Mansfield
- Port Aransas to Port O’Connor
A tornado warning is in effect until 8:15 p.m. for:
- Duval County
- Jim Wells County
- Kleberg County
On Friday, Kleberg County Judge Rudy Madrid had issued a voluntary evacuation order, effective immediately, for Ricardo, Riviera, Baffin Bay and Loyola Beach due to the storm’s “imminent threat.”
Track the storm
Read or Share this story: https://www.caller.com/story/news/2020/07/25/hurricane-hanna-updates-nhc-saturday-landfall/5502008002/