- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
Hurricane Laura is expected to make landfall in southwestern Louisiana as a major hurricane. Accuweather
Hurricane Laura strengthened to a Category 3 hurricane Wednesday morning, which classifies the storm as a major hurricane.
The storm is expected to continue strengthening, reaching a Category 4 storm before making landfall.
What we know: Hurricane Laura’s Texas landfall
As of 7 a.m. Wednesday, Laura was recorded by the NOAA and Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft as having maximum sustained winds of 115 mph. It is located 290 miles southeast of Galveston.
Laura is moving northwest at 15 mph.
Watches and warnings are in effect for areas across Texas to the mouth of the Mississippi River.
Map the storm: See live spaghetti models, tracker maps as storm nears
Where is Hurricane Laura now?
- Location: 335 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas
- Movement: Northwest at 15 mph
- Maximum sustained winds: 110 mph
- Next update: 10 a.m.
Information gathered from the National Hurricane Center.
Hurricane Laura watches and warnings
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for
- Freeport, Texas to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for
- San Luis Pass, Texas to Intracoastal City, Louisiana
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for
- Sargent, Texas to San Luis Pass
- East of Intracoastal City, Louisiana to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for
- Freeport, Texas to San Luis Pass
- Mouth of the Mississippi River to Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, and Lake Borgne
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for
- East of Intracoastal City to west of Morgan City, Louisiana
When will Hurricane Laura hit?
(Tip: If the map above doesn’t load, click here.)
Read or Share this story: https://www.caller.com/story/news/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-category-4-nhc-updates-texas-impacts/3432520001/