- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
Hurricane Laura made landfall near Cameron, Louisiana and began carving a path through Louisiana overnight.
As of 1 a.m. Wednesday, Laura was recorded by the NOAA as having maximum sustained winds of 150 mph. Hurricane force winds are expected through much of the night in the warning areas, with catastrophic damage expected near where the eyewall moved ashore.
The storm was located about 30 miles south-southwest of Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Laura is moving north at 15 mph.
The storm will dump 8-12 inches of rain from far southwest Louisiana and the Golden Triangle of Southeast Texas with isolated totals of 18 inches. About 5-10 inches with isolated totals of 15 inches are expected across central and the rest of western Louisiana into far eastern Texas, according to the national weather service update.
Several tornadoes are expected overnight over Louisiana, far southeast Texas, and southwestern Mississippi. The risk for tornadoes will continue through the day across Louisiana, Arkansas, and western Mississippi.
Laura forecast to be ‘major’ Cat 3: What does this mean?
Map the storm:See live spaghetti models, tracker maps as storm nears
Where is Hurricane Laura now?
- Location: 30 miles (south-southwest) of Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Movement: North at 15 mph
- Maximum sustained winds: 150 mph
- Next update: 4 a.m.
Information gathered from the National Hurricane Center.
Hurricane Laura watches and warnings
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for
- Freeport Texas to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for
- High Island Texas to Intracoastal City Louisiana
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for
- San Luis Pass to High Island Texas
- East of Intracoastal City Louisiana to the Mouth of the
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for
- East of Intracoastal City to west of Morgan City Louisiana
Read or Share this story: https://www.caller.com/story/news/2020/08/27/hurricane-laura-landfall-track-path-nhc-updates-texas-louisiana/3439752001/