- Ava Gardner Museum closes due to flood damage
- Hurricanes open with 3-0 win over rebuilding Red Wings
- How Flood Projects Can Do More Than Just Prevent Floods (Jan. 14, 2021)
- Wildfires produced up to half of pollution in US West, according to study
- Tornado causes damage, displaces families in Houston suburb
The park’s weather recording station at the Mile High Swinging Bridge registered a three-second gust of 124 mph at around midnight Monday, breaking the previous record of 121.3 mph, recorded on Feb. 13.
In addition, at around 2 a.m., the station detected a gust of 122.3 mph.
In all, starting late Sunday evening, the mountain saw 16 consecutive hours with gusts higher than 100 mph. In comparison, Mount Mitchell’s highest three-second gust during the same time frame came in at 68.3 mph, according to data from the North Carolina Climate Office.