- 'All of that stress came flooding back' | Homeowners fear plans for nearby landfill are back on
- Don't get iced by scammers while trying to score Carolina Hurricanes tickets
- 'We can all tell the story' | Charlotte artists team up to turn Carolina Hurricanes jerseys into visual concept of 'Black Excellence'
- Charlotte artists collaborate to tell the story of 'Black Excellence' through new Carolina Hurricanes jerseys
- Warm, dry week increases wildfire threat for Hill Country
The park’s weather recording station at the Mile High Swinging Bridge registered a three-second gust of 124 mph at around midnight Monday, breaking the previous record of 121.3 mph, recorded on Feb. 13.
In addition, at around 2 a.m., the station detected a gust of 122.3 mph.
In all, starting late Sunday evening, the mountain saw 16 consecutive hours with gusts higher than 100 mph. In comparison, Mount Mitchell’s highest three-second gust during the same time frame came in at 68.3 mph, according to data from the North Carolina Climate Office.