- An ex-Marine who was arrested for his role in the U.S. Capitol riots previously went viral for rescuing dogs during Hurricane Florence
- Southport Marina receives new docks after Hurricane Isaias
- Hurricane-damaged Little Bay Primary School in Rockport to become a workforce center
- NHL postpones two additional Carolina Hurricanes games
- Ava Gardner Museum closes due to flood damage
Potential Tropical Cyclone 6 is forecast to strengthen to Tropical Storm Florence on Friday and then a hurricane by Sunday morning.
The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Potential Tropical Cyclone 6, which is forecast to strengthen to Tropical Storm Florence and then a hurricane by Sunday.
It would be the third hurricane of the 2018 season, following Beryl and Chris.
The potential tropical cyclone is in the far eastern Atlantic, about 425 miles east-southeast of the Cabo Verde Islands with maximum sustained winds of 30 mph.
Ahead of the approaching storm, the government of the Cabo Verde Islands has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for the southern islands of Santiago, Fogo and Brava.
A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area within 36 hours.
The Hurricane Center reported in its most recent advisory that maximum sustained winds are near 30 mph with higher gusts. Strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours, and Potential Tropical Cyclone 6 is expected to become a tropical storm during the next day or so.