SOUTHEASTERN NORTH CAROLINA (WECT) –
NEW HANOVER COUNTY
Five shelters are accepting residents in New Hanover County as of Thursday morning, according to county officials:
- Trask Middle School (pet friendly)
- Eaton Elementary School
- Codington Elementary
- Johnson Pre-K Center (full)
- Noble Middle School
County officials also announced that Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem is open as a shelter.
According to officials, Garner High School, Southeast Raleigh High School, and Knightdale High School shelters in Wake County are at capacity.
West Brunswick High School is at full capacity. Residents seeking shelter should go to North Brunswick High School (114 Scorpion Dr. in Leland) or South Brunswick High School (110 Cougar Road in Boiling Spring Lakes)
Residents evacuating to a shelter should bring identification, any needed medications, any needed items like glasses or diapers, clothing for 3-7 days, pillows, toiletries, chargers for cell phones, and books, games or cards. Residents should bring sheets or bedding, and cots and air mattresses if available. Alcohol, illegal substances, and weapons are not permitted.
Dogs and cats are accepted at all Brunswick County shelters. Owners must stay at the shelter as well, and should bring documentation of rabies vaccines, food, any medicines, and any other items necessary for your pets.
Call 910-253-5383 if you need help evacuating.
In Bladen County, the following shelter locations are open:
- East Bladen High School, 5600 NC-87 E, Elizabethtown, NC 28337
- West Bladen High School, 1600 NC-410, Bladenboro, NC 28320 (Nearing capacity. Only special needs patients and evacuees with animals will be accepted)
- Bladen Lakes Elementary School, 9554 Johnsontown Rd, Elizabethtown, NC 28337
- East Arcadia Elementary School, 21451 NC-87 E, Riegelwood, NC 28456
- Elizabethtown Middle School, 1496 US-701, Elizabethtown, NC 28337 (no cots available, please bring any bedding supplies needed)
If you have questions, call 910-862-7809.
In Columbus County, the following schools are open as shelters:
- Guideway Elementary School – 11570 Swamp Fox Highway East, Tabor City
- East Columbus High School – 32 Gator Lane, Lake Waccamaw
- South Columbus High School – 40 Stallion Drive, Tabor City
- West Columbus High School – 7294 Andrew Jackson Highway Southwest, Cerro Gordo
- Edgewood Elementary — 317 E Calhoun Street, Whiteville. Despite officials saying the school is at capacity, they won’t turn anyone away. Bring your own cot or bedding.
All Columbus County shelters are out of cots so please bring your own bedding and pillows if possible.
If you’re a Columbus County resident and need transportation to a shelter, call 910-642-8193 or 910-642-7684.
In Pender County, Burgaw Middle School is open as a pet-friendly shelter. Pet owners are required to present rabies vaccination records. A limited supply of rabies vaccinations will be available at $5 per pet. Please bring food and water.
Cape Fear Middle School, Malpass Corner Elementary, and Topsail Elementary also are open as shelters.
Here’s a suggested list of items to bring to the Pender shelters:
- Clothing for 3-7 days
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Food and medication for service animal
- Daily toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, washcloth, feminine hygiene products)
- Special dietary foods, infant formula
- Identification for each family member
- 7-day supply of medicine in the original bottles if possible
- Cell phone with charger
- Books, games and cards
- Family/friend/caretaker’s emergency contact information
- Written list of all medications with doctors’ names and phone numbers
- Glasses, dentures, hearing aids
- Medical equipment used on a daily basis (wheelchair, walker, cane, oxygen, catheters, etc.)
- Extra batteries needed for any medical equipment
Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.