- Hawaii faces life-threatening flooding after some areas see more than a foot of rain in 48 hours
- Storm sweeps Hawaii, brings threat of ‘catastrophic’ floods
- Timeline: Severe weather threat coming along with front
- Another Hurricane Season In The Books: The Good, Bad, And Ugly Of The Week
- 'We can bounce back from this,' Gov. Roy Cooper visits Pilot Mountain to evaluate wildfire damage
The Carolina Hurricanes boosted their preseason record to 3-0 on Friday with a 5-1 win over the Washington Capitals at PNC Arena.
Valentin Zykov and Jaccob Slavin scored power-play goals and Jordan Martinook scored shorthanded for the Canes. Jordan Staal added an even-strength goal and Martin Necas a late empty-netter.
Petr Mrazek started in net for Carolina and played the first two periods, facing just 10 shots before Alex Nedejkovic took over.
Nicklas Backstrom had the Caps’ goal in the first period. The Caps, 0-3-1 in the preseason, played without Alex Ovechkin but had Braden Holtby in net and several regulars in the lineup.