- Collision repair shops and roofing companies hit with another big wave of business after Thursday's hail storm
- New Hanover County, Wilmington receive $4.6M for Hurricane Isaias recovery
- Holden Beach awarded $3.8M to renourish beaches damaged by Hurricane Isaias
- Severe weather threat comes to an end Thursday, some scattered showers remain
- Forecast: More severe weather ahead for Friday, upper 70s expected
The Carolina Hurricanes boosted their preseason record to 3-0 on Friday with a 5-1 win over the Washington Capitals at PNC Arena.
Valentin Zykov and Jaccob Slavin scored power-play goals and Jordan Martinook scored shorthanded for the Canes. Jordan Staal added an even-strength goal and Martin Necas a late empty-netter.
Petr Mrazek started in net for Carolina and played the first two periods, facing just 10 shots before Alex Nedejkovic took over.
Nicklas Backstrom had the Caps’ goal in the first period. The Caps, 0-3-1 in the preseason, played without Alex Ovechkin but had Braden Holtby in net and several regulars in the lineup.