- Ava Gardner Museum closes due to flood damage
- Hurricanes open with 3-0 win over rebuilding Red Wings
- How Flood Projects Can Do More Than Just Prevent Floods (Jan. 14, 2021)
- Wildfires produced up to half of pollution in US West, according to study
- Tornado causes damage, displaces families in Houston suburb
The Carolina Hurricanes boosted their preseason record to 3-0 on Friday with a 5-1 win over the Washington Capitals at PNC Arena.
Valentin Zykov and Jaccob Slavin scored power-play goals and Jordan Martinook scored shorthanded for the Canes. Jordan Staal added an even-strength goal and Martin Necas a late empty-netter.
Petr Mrazek started in net for Carolina and played the first two periods, facing just 10 shots before Alex Nedejkovic took over.
Nicklas Backstrom had the Caps’ goal in the first period. The Caps, 0-3-1 in the preseason, played without Alex Ovechkin but had Braden Holtby in net and several regulars in the lineup.