- Tropical Storm Ian path shifts west, increasing chance NC sees heavy rain next week
- Florida monitors a growing Tropical Storm Ian in Caribbean
- Florida emergency declared as Tropical Storm Ian strengthens
- Tropical Storm Ian strengthens in the Caribbean, tracks toward Florida
- Artemis moon launch delayed again as Tropical Storm Ian strengthens
Durham, N.C. — The worst of Tropical Storm Michael came behind the heavy rain. High winds downed trees in Orange, Durham, Chatham and Wake counties. By 6 p.m., there were no reports of injuries or deaths.
A sudden squall was visible just after 5 p.m. on a traffic camera over the Durham Freeway. The video shows the wind and rain rapidly picking up and visibility dropping to almost zero.
On Turnberry Circle in Durham, strong winds brought down a large tree in two pieces, sparing the home’s deck. Inside, the residents still had power, but they have a large clean-up task ahead.