- As California wildfires rage, is this the new normal?
- Deadly storms bring torrential rains, hail and tornadoes to large portions of the South
- Severe weather impacts the East Coast
- Two people killed after tornado outbreak hits south
- Today marks the end to an uneventful Atlantic hurricane season for Texas
Men carry a mobile shop to safer ground in Pemba city on the northeastern coast of Mozambique, Saturday, April, 27, 2019. Cyclone Kenneth arrived late Thursday, just six weeks after Cyclone Idai ripped into central Mozambique and killed more than 600 people.Authorities are urging people to move immediately to higher ground as flooding and mudslides are feared in the wake of Cyclone Kenneth . AP Photo
Flooding has begun in parts of northern Mozambique that were hit by Cyclone Kenneth three days ago.
Mozambique’s government has urged many people to immediately seek higher ground, fearing flooding and mudslides in the days ahead. It said at least five people have died since the storm arrived Thursday evening with the force of a Category 4 hurricane.
Heavy rain is falling in the region’s main city of Pemba, which has lost power.
Aerial photos Saturday showed several coastal communities flattened by the storm in northernmost Cabo Delgado province.
Rain is forecast over the next several days. Nearly 700,000 people could be at risk, many left exposed and hungry as waters rise.
Kenneth arrived just six weeks after Cyclone Idai ripped into central Mozambique and killed more than 600 people.