- Forecasters: Hurricane season to be busier than 1st thought
- NOAA updates Atlantic hurricane season forecast, says it 'shows no signs of slowing'
- 'This was my home. It will be again.:' Beach residents rebuilding on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Isaias
- ‘This was my home. It will be again.:’ Beach residents rebuilding on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Isaias
- On anniversary of Hurricane Isaias, tropics remain relatively quiet for 2021
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
RALEIGH, NC (AP) — A North Carolina government watchdog agency says administrative mistakes and a lack of expertise caused delays in the state’s distribution of certain federal long-term recovery funds following Hurricane Matthew.
The report released Monday by the non-partisan Program Evaluation Division also found $3.7 million in unnecessary state spending.
The state received a federal block grant of $199 million in December 2016, which was later increased to $237 million. But as of December 2018— over two years after Matthew made landfall — only 1% of it had been spent. South Carolina spent 22% of a similar award during the same time period.
The report says North Carolina was inexperienced with this type of grant.
In response, state recovery leaders acknowledged their inexperience led to a delay, but disagreed with some of the report’s conclusions.