- ‘This Is The Worst Thanksgiving Of My Life’: Arlington Mechanic Watches Shop Crumble During Tornado
- ‘It’s A New Start’: Richardson Couple Moves Into Newly-Built Home 1 Year After Tornado Destroyed House
- Tornado causes damage, injuries in Dallas-area city
- Hurricane season's last gasp? Forecasters tracking tropical disturbance
- Drought, hail and a Thanksgiving staple: extreme weather delivered a hit to cranberry farmers
View The Original Article Here
When the power goes out during a hurricane or tropical storm, follow these simple tips from AccuWeather to stay safe:
- Avoid downed power lines. Beware of power lines hidden in floodwaters, which can also pose an electrocution risk.
- Candles can pose a fire hazard, so use flashlights whenever possible.
- Turn off electric appliances to avoid a power surge when electricity is restored.
- Place generators at least 30 feet away from your home to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Copyright © 2019 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.