- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
- Severe weather in Houston (Nov. 30, 2023)
Hurricane Laura is expected to make landfall in southwestern Louisiana as a major hurricane. Accuweather
Hurricane Laura is approaching Category 5 status with winds at 150 mph, 8 mph away from a Category 5 storm.
Currently a Category 4 storm, Laura is described as an “extremely dangerous” storm. The storm is forecast to stay a Category 4 hurricane making landfall along the Texas and Louisiana coasts.
Catastrophic storm surge, extreme winds, and flash flooding are expected along the northwest Gulf Coast tonight.
Laura is currently 75 miles from Port Arthur, Texas and is moving north-northwest at 15 mph.
On the forecast track, “Laura will approach the Upper Texas and southwest Louisiana coasts this evening and move inland within that area tonight.
“The center of Laura is forecast to move over northwestern Louisiana tomorrow, across Arkansas Thursday night, and over the mid-Mississippi Valley on Friday,” the National Hurricane Center said.
What we know: Hurricane Laura’s Texas landfall
As of 10 p.m. Wednesday, Laura was recorded by the NOAA as having maximum sustained winds of 150 mph.
Watches and warnings are in effect for areas across Texas to the mouth of the Mississippi River.
Map the storm: See live spaghetti models, tracker maps as storm nears
Where is Hurricane Laura now?
- Location: 155 miles south-southeast of Port Arthur, Texas
- Movement: Northwest at 15 mph
- Maximum sustained winds: 150 mph
- Next update: 10 a.m.
Information gathered from the National Hurricane Center.
Hurricane Laura watches and warnings
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for
- Freeport, Texas to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for
- San Luis Pass, Texas to Intracoastal City, Louisiana
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for
- Sargent, Texas to San Luis Pass
- East of Intracoastal City, Louisiana to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for
- Freeport, Texas to San Luis Pass
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for
- East of Intracoastal City to west of Morgan City, Louisiana
When will Hurricane Laura hit?
(Tip: If the map above doesn’t load, click here.)
Read or Share this story: https://www.caller.com/story/news/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-category-4-nhc-updates-texas-impacts/3432520001/