- 'All of that stress came flooding back' | Homeowners fear plans for nearby landfill are back on
- Don't get iced by scammers while trying to score Carolina Hurricanes tickets
- 'We can all tell the story' | Charlotte artists team up to turn Carolina Hurricanes jerseys into visual concept of 'Black Excellence'
- Charlotte artists collaborate to tell the story of 'Black Excellence' through new Carolina Hurricanes jerseys
- Warm, dry week increases wildfire threat for Hill Country
Share This Story!
Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about
A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.
Tropical Storm Beta has started to make its impact Sunday along the Texas coast and storm conditions continue Monday morning.
Beta is forecast to produce dangerous storm surge as the storm tracks closer to landfall.
The highest wind gusts overnight on Sunday between Galveston and Freeport was 49 mph, according to the National Weather Service Houston.
NHC updates Monday:Life-threatening storm surge risk along Texas coast
According to the 7 a.m. update from the National Hurricane Center, Tropical Storm Beta is located around 70 miles southeast of Port O’Connor and 120 miles south-southwest of Galveston.
Storm surge warnings are issued in effect for portions along the Texas coast in these areas:
- Port Aransas, Texas to Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana, including Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, Galveston Bay, Sabine Lake, and Lake Calcasieu
How high might the storm surge get?
The water could reach the following heights above ground somewhere in the indicated areas if the peak surge occurs at the time of high tide, according to NHC:
- San Luis Pass, TX to Sabine Pass, TX including Galveston Bay… 3-5 ft
- Port Aransas, TX to San Luis Pass, TX including Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, and Matagorda Bay… 2-4 ft
- Sabine Pass, TX to Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, LA including Sabine Lake and Calcasieu Lake… 2-4 ft
- Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, LA to Ocean Springs, MS including Vermilion Bay, Lake Borgne, Lake Pontchartrain, and Lake Maurepas… 1-3 ft
- Baffin Bay, TX to Port Aransas, TX including Corpus Christi Bay and Baffin Bay… 1-3 ft
- Mouth of the Rio Grande to Baffin Bay, TX… 1-2 ft
Conditions in Louisiana: Flooding begins along Louisiana coast
See videos of storm conditions along the Texas coast Sunday as Tropical Storm Beta makes its way to land:
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
League City, Texas
Bay Harbor, Texas
Jamaica Beach, Texas
North Padre Island, Texas
San Luis Pass, Texas
Read or Share this story: https://www.caller.com/story/news/2020/09/20/tropical-storm-beta-texas-flooding-impacts-storm-surge-coast-galveston-north-padre-island/5842123002/