- FORECAST: Severe weather done, but some heavy rain continues
- FORECAST: Severe weather done not we clear out.
- Tracking severe weather in the area
- Tornado Warning in effect for Avery, Burke, Caldwell, McDowell counties until 9 p.m.
- Tornado Warning in effect for Burke, McDowell, Rutherford counties until 8:15 p.m.
With Hurricane Florence bearing down on southeastern North Carolina, the storm is expected to bring a violent storm surge to the region.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has put together an interactive online map that can show potential storm surge flooding where you live.
Forecasters believe the storm surge could reach in excess of 10 feet, especially as its eyewall jams close to the New Hanover County and Pender County barrier islands Thursday into Friday.
As the center of Florence wobbles westward toward Long Bay and the Grand Strand, storm surge in excess of 5 feet and possibly in more than 10 feet remains possible for the Brunswick County islands Friday into Saturday.
Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.