- Hurricane Forecasters Predict Another Busy Season - 4 Thoughts
- Flooding From Hurricane Harvey Polluted Coral Reefs More Than 100 Miles Offshore
- A third tornado confirmed from Saturday evening's storms
- San Antonio area could see severe weather including hail and damaging winds
- A friendship solid as ice: Carolina Hurricanes forward Jordan Martinook forges special bond with 12-year-old fan with Down syndrome
Burgaw, N.C. — Hurricane Florence may have put everyday life on hold across southeastern North Carolina, but it couldn’t stop two Pender County mothers from giving birth.
Keyana McIntyre gave birth to Avah Storm Murphy last Friday inside Carolinas MED-1, a mobile hospital in front of a Family Dollar in Burgaw. Two days later, Yajaira Guerin did likewise, delivering Atarah Guerin, according to NBC affiliate WECT.
The makeshift medical center had been the only functional facility within a 50-mile radius since Sept. 17.
According to Atrium Health, the MED-1 staff also delivered a baby two years ago during Hurricane Matthew.