- Weather slows wildfire near California's giant sequoia trees
- Tropical Storm Odette forms off mid-Atlantic coast
- Tropical Storm Odette forms, moving away from Carolina coast
- 'Gotta love Texas': TikTok sparks debate on Whataburger being open during tropical storm
- California wildfires threaten famous giant sequoia trees
Burgaw, N.C. — Hurricane Florence may have put everyday life on hold across southeastern North Carolina, but it couldn’t stop two Pender County mothers from giving birth.
Keyana McIntyre gave birth to Avah Storm Murphy last Friday inside Carolinas MED-1, a mobile hospital in front of a Family Dollar in Burgaw. Two days later, Yajaira Guerin did likewise, delivering Atarah Guerin, according to NBC affiliate WECT.
The makeshift medical center had been the only functional facility within a 50-mile radius since Sept. 17.
According to Atrium Health, the MED-1 staff also delivered a baby two years ago during Hurricane Matthew.