- Shelters, emergency officials prepare for severe weather this weekend
- 6th tornado confirmed by National Weather Service, survey teams continue work
- Kingwood residents cleaning up after storm damage from tornado
- Live video: Air 11 surveys storm damage following tornados this weekend
- Multiple tornadoes confirmed by National Weather Service survey teams
Burgaw, N.C. — Hurricane Florence may have put everyday life on hold across southeastern North Carolina, but it couldn’t stop two Pender County mothers from giving birth.
Keyana McIntyre gave birth to Avah Storm Murphy last Friday inside Carolinas MED-1, a mobile hospital in front of a Family Dollar in Burgaw. Two days later, Yajaira Guerin did likewise, delivering Atarah Guerin, according to NBC affiliate WECT.
The makeshift medical center had been the only functional facility within a 50-mile radius since Sept. 17.
According to Atrium Health, the MED-1 staff also delivered a baby two years ago during Hurricane Matthew.