- Round Rock getting second disaster loan outreach center after tornado outbreak
- Carolina Hurricanes to face New York Rangers in 2nd round of playoffs
- New Texas plan for federal Hurricane Harvey aid yields same old result: Funds diverted away from Gulf Coast
- Austin-area teen caught in Elgin tornado joins TxDOT 'Click It or Ticket' campaign
- 'It's awesome': Record 19,513 fans pack PNC Arena for Hurricanes win Game 7 over Bruins
A Florida man was arrested Thursday after deputies said he molested a six-year-old girl at an emergency hurricane shelter.
John Stapleton, a 60-year-old homeless man, faces charges of lewd and lascivious molestation of a victim under 12, according to an Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Facebook post.
Stapleton is a resident of Destin, Florida, which is on the coast between Panama City and Pensacola, deputies said.
The incident occurred at Davidson Middle School in Crestview, which has been turned into temporary housing for those who need shelter because of Hurricane Michael, the sheriff’s office said.
Stapleton’s arrest came after a witness told deputies she saw a video of a child who was being touched “in a lewd manner underneath her clothing,” deputies said.
Authorities found the video and said that Stapleton then admitted to deputies that he had touched the girl, though Stapleton said it was “not in a lewd manner,” according to the sheriff’s office.
Online jail records said Stapleton is awaiting a hearing and that bond has been denied.