- 'All of that stress came flooding back' | Homeowners fear plans for nearby landfill are back on
- Don't get iced by scammers while trying to score Carolina Hurricanes tickets
- 'We can all tell the story' | Charlotte artists team up to turn Carolina Hurricanes jerseys into visual concept of 'Black Excellence'
- Charlotte artists collaborate to tell the story of 'Black Excellence' through new Carolina Hurricanes jerseys
- Warm, dry week increases wildfire threat for Hill Country
DURHAM, NC (WWAY) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved $41.5 million to reimburse North Carolina Emergency Management for emergency response activities during Hurricane Florence, which struck the state in September 2018.
Emergency response efforts included search and rescue costs, setting up emergency staging areas, operating emergency shelters throughout the state, running four emergency operations centers, conducting evacuations and making emergency purchases.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants to state and local governments, and to certain types of private nonprofit organizations to reimburse for the cost of debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures and permanent repair work to damaged infrastructure.
FEMA’s Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program, which reimburses applicants at least 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the State of North Carolina. FEMA’s share for this project was $31 million. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to the agencies, local governments and nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.