- 'This was my home. It will be again.:' Beach residents rebuilding on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Isaias
- ‘This was my home. It will be again.:’ Beach residents rebuilding on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Isaias
- On anniversary of Hurricane Isaias, tropics remain relatively quiet for 2021
- Confirmed tornado over Crystal Beach, NWS says
- Live updates: Confirmed tornado over Crystal Beach, NWS says
The Virginian-Pilot reported last week that the task force will focus on protecting seven vulnerable spots along 67 miles of the narrow highway.
NC Highway 12 runs from Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Village and continues after a ferry ride to Ocracoke.
The taskforce tasked with saving the highway is made up of federal, state and local agencies. The highway constantly floods with ocean water or after heavy rains and high tides inundate the road.
Tourists can sometimes be stranded, while emergency crews can be stymied.
Officials have so far had mixed success building bridges and bigger dunes.
Copyright © 2021 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.