- More than 2 months after a hailstorm caused major damage in Round Rock, residents are still dealing with repairs
- Leland resident still feeling effects of Hurricane Florence more than 5 years on
- Gov. Abbott says state emergency response resources will be ready to handle severe weather issues today
- Recapping the 2023 hurricane season on final day of season
- Hail, tornadoes a potential in Houston-area storms Thursday
RIEGELWOOD, NC (WWAY) — Thursday marks 17 years since one of the deadliest tornadoes in North Carolina history.
In the early morning of November 16, 2006 several storms rolled through the area, with one being particularly bad in Columbus County.
The supercell dropped an F3 tornado near Riegelwood with winds near 200 miles per hour.
The tornado tragically killed eight people and injured 20 more, destroying 30 homes.