- NHL postpones two additional Carolina Hurricanes games
- Ava Gardner Museum closes due to flood damage
- Hurricanes open with 3-0 win over rebuilding Red Wings
- How Flood Projects Can Do More Than Just Prevent Floods (Jan. 14, 2021)
- Wildfires produced up to half of pollution in US West, according to study
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – Hurricane Florence may have occurred more than seven weeks ago, but damage from the powerful storm forced board of elections officials across the Cape Fear to scramble to find a number of new locations prior to Tuesday’s midterm election.
According to the Bladen County Board of Elections, the Bethel Precinct which used to meet in the former Lion’s Club Building in Dublin, NC, was damaged during the storm. Those voters will now go to Singletary United Methodist Church which is located about three blocks away from the former precinct.
The Brunswick County Board of Elections says there were no changes to precincts as a result of Hurricane Florence. However, the following location changes were made for other reasons:
- Precinct 6 (Bolivia) is now voting in the Brunswick County Cooperative Extension Office located 25 Referendum Drive, Building N in Bolivia.
- Precinct 20 (Sucession 2) is now voting at Caison’s Creek Clubhouse at 1720 Caison’s Creek Drive Southwest in Supply.
In Columbus County, the Ransom Precinct used to meet in the VFW at 102 Highway 87 in Riegelwood. According to the Columbus County Board of Elections, voters in this precinct will now go to the Ransom Event Center on Highway 11.
The Pender County Board of Elections says only one precinct wasn’t able to open due to Hurricane Florence. Voters assigned to the Middle Holly Precinct will go to the Maple Hill Fire Department. Two precincts will be voting at this location.
New Hanover County
The New Hanover County Board of Elections has two changes to precincts due to Hurricane Florence:
- Voters who reside in H12 will now vote on Election Day at Blair Elementary School located at 416 Edgewater Club Rd., Wilmington, NC 28411.
- Voters who reside in W30 will now vote on Election Day at JC Roe Center located at 2875 Worth Dr., Wilmington, NC 28412.
In addition, there following changes are relatively new this year and may be unfamiliar to voters in the following precincts:
- The voting enclosure for precinct W24 has moved from the UNCW Warwick Center to the UNCW Burney Center.
- The voting enclosure for precinct CF06 has moved from the Life Activity Center at Northside Baptist Church to the Northside Kids Check-In Room at Northside Baptist Church.
- Voters who reside in H01 will now vote on Election Day at Cape Fear Christian Church located at 811 College Rd. N., Wilmington, NC 28405.
- Voters who reside in FP03 will now vote on Election Day at Kure Beach Community Center located at 118 Third Ave. N., Kure Beach, NC 28449.
- The entrance to the voting enclosure at precinct FP04 (Myrtle Grove Middle School) has changed. Voters should now use the entrance on the left-side of the school that directly enters the gym.