- 'All of that stress came flooding back' | Homeowners fear plans for nearby landfill are back on
- Don't get iced by scammers while trying to score Carolina Hurricanes tickets
- 'We can all tell the story' | Charlotte artists team up to turn Carolina Hurricanes jerseys into visual concept of 'Black Excellence'
- Charlotte artists collaborate to tell the story of 'Black Excellence' through new Carolina Hurricanes jerseys
- Warm, dry week increases wildfire threat for Hill Country
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Thursday is the final day of a very active 2023 hurricane season, which runs each year from June 1st through November 30th.
This year saw the fourth-most named storms in a season since 1950.
NOAA says record warm Atlantic sea surface temperatures and a strong El Niño contributed to 20 named storms, 7 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes (category 3 or greater). An average season has 14 named storms.
Idalia was the only hurricane to make landfall in 2023, coming ashore as a category three in Florida. Idalia moved across the southeast, impacting the Cape Fear as a tropical storm and spawning several confirmed tornadoes.
Tropical Storm Ophelia is the only other storm to threaten our region, moving by offshore and making landfall near Emerald Isle.
There are now 184 days until the 2024 hurricane season begins.